Walking in the street with your camera is indeed one way of practising photography, however, in this workshop we propose to approach things completely differently: We will work on defining as precisely as possible what you want to do, the subject you want to treat and how to formalize it, before even beginning to start shooting.
Because this approach requires a certain amount of preparation time, you will be put in contact with Lorenzo Castore before the beginning of the workshop to determine the working method: to define the project and investigate its feasibility, and to discuss contacts, location scouting, and methodology for taking shots. The 2 days planned in Paris will be an opportunity to continue these exchanges and to work concretely on ongoing projects.
Programm Step 1 :
You will send to Lorenzo Castore:
- between 10 and 40 photos of work already produced (JPEG or PDF format)
- a text presenting your current photographic work: what you have already achieved and the direction in which your intuition is pointing you for your future work. Step 2 :
On the basis of the elements sent, you will have a one-to-one on-line interview with Lorenzo Castore to define your personal strategy. Step 3 :
A second on-line interview with a group of 3-4 people will enable you to exchange information on the progress of your respective projects
Saturday 20 February & Sunday 21 February
A projection of one of Lorenzo Castoreâ€™s subjects commented by him: method of preparation and production
Analysis of the ongoing projects of the participants :
- Preparation: documentation, investigation, interviews, locations, and agreements
- Working with different media (photography / text / sound / video...) and photographic genres (landscape / still life / portrait...)
- The photographic act: the search for neutrality, visual composition, the intervention of real life
- Editing of the first shots
- The influence of the different channels of distribution on the photographic form
Equipment and material
- Participants will be asked to bring a digital camera body if the advancement of their work involves shooting in Paris
- If participants intend to work on editing a specific series of pictures they will be asked to bring them in the form of small prints on paper (approx. 15x20cm)
Born in Florence in 1973, Lorenzo Castore studied photography in Rome after returning from a stay in New York. He won the Mario Giacomelli Price in 2003 and the Leica European Publisher Award in 2005. In addition to published two books, "Nero" and "Paradiso," Castore's works are exhibited in Rome, Milan, Crocovia and Paris.
You can receive a pre-enrollement form by contacting:
Mathias Nouel / +33(0)1 53 01 85 84 / firstname.lastname@example.org
This latter will have to be sent - at the latest - 20 days prior to the beginning of the workshop. It must be accompanied by a postal check OR a bank transfert* of 50% of the total fee, and addressed to the order of: Agence VUâ€™. * the potential bank fees are in charge of the participant
Once the Agency receive the form, your enrollement to the workshop will be confirmed by email. Then, you will be requested to pay the rest of the amount due within 10 days before the beginning of the workshop.
Reproduction and diffusion autorisation
The workshop participant authorizes Agence VUâ€™ to reproduce and distribute:
- Any photographs of him or her taken during the workshop.
- The photographs and that have been chosen in a common agreement with the course leader.
These images will be used as documents in the framework of any communication material to advertise the workshops (on varied aid; internet, paperâ€¦). The participant renounce to ask for any compensation if any of her or his images were to be used in the communication of the workshops.
Participants who cancel 30 days before the beginning of the workshop will be given a 100% refund of their deposit. Participants who cancel between 30 and 15 days before the beginning of the workshop will be given a 50% refund of their deposit. Participants who cancel less than 15 days before the beginning of the workshop will not be given a refund except in cases of force majeure.
Agence VU' reserves the right to cancel a workshop. In case of a cancelation, Agence VU will propose, in agreement with the concerned people, the possibility to take part in another workshop. In case no solution can be found, Agence VU will reimburse the fees to the participants.